BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Life Today

"We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at sea." - C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory.
This is pure truth. Our day in age is all about "me" and how I define or experience happiness. Happiness is not in the next drink nor is it in the next sex partner. Happiness is in LOVE. Real, pure love is where happiness is. We were put on this earth to experience joy, but that joy comes from our Father who created us, not from man made luxuries or experiences.
Love includes service, joy, charity, and other qualities that make you feel true happiness that lasts. Search and long for those things that bring peace. Pure love brings peace, and in turn brings happiness. Be weary of instant gratification, and search for those things that bring you eternal peace.

3 comments:

Kim C said...

So refreshing to hear your thoughts. Thank you for helping me feel more grounded. It is so easy to get caught up in the temporal THINGS. It can bring so much unnecessary stress. Kasey has been traveling this week, and upon returning expressed the calm and comfort he appreciates at home. When we are all together it is a great reminder of the joy that pure Love brings. Thanks again!

Spence said...

You make some very good points here. I was just thinking the other day about this very thing. I think about how I see life now as a husband and a father vs. how I saw it just a few years ago. The most profound difference is that because of this true love I've found with my wife - the gospel actually makes more sense and the blessing more attainable.

I thought I understood a little bit about charity and unconditional love before, but now I see that I had no idea. There is nothing greater than knowing that your wife loves you regardless - and nothing more fun than doing everything in your power to serve, cherish, and love her in return.

I think one of the reasons family is so important in the gospel of Jesus Christ is because it is one the greatest pedagogical tools in helping us understand (at least to some degree) better the love our Father has for us - and the kind of service required for the highest degree of glory in the hereafter.

Laurie said...

Just wait until little "Pitcher" arrives (that's my vote!) then your understanding of love will expand before your eyes!