BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Oppression by One's Neighbor

I know that this title seems a little strange but I think the word oppression makes sense. I have been thinking a lot about the world and the influences that are in it, and how those influences affect each of us, including me. The using of the word "neighbor" means all that are around you. I am highly affected by my neighbors. I wish that I was not. I yearn for knowledge. But do I want knowledge for the right reasons? Do I want knowledge because I think it will make me money? Do I want knowledge because I think that it will make me more accepted? Or do I simply want knowledge because those that I look up to have it? This is one example of how we are oppressed or freed by our neighbors. I will benefit from this want, no matter the root of it. So in a way the oppression has become a benefit, or maybe later it will become a detriment. Each influence will be different. I encourage all to seek after those things that bring light into their lives. Truly find out who you are. Ask yourselves the hard questions.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is an intriguing thought because I suppose I do believe that one can expend the effort to gain knowledge for the wrong reasons (many brilliant criminals come to mind).

I know that for myself I hope to gain knowledge for a couple of the reasons that you mention (namely that those I admire have it), but primarily, I gain knowledge because I hope to serve. Nothing is more thrilling to me than gaining some level of understanding and then passing it on to other people when it's appropriate. I know that I love knowing what I think...I love to have what I think challenged only to come out of the other end stronger than before entering the fire. So I feel as though I'd like to be a part of that process for others. Plus, I just LOVE discourse and genuine connection...knowledge facilitates this desire to fellowship, to know and be known.

But over all, I feel like I am called to gain certain knowledge so that I may serve my purpose here on earth to its fullest capacity. knowledge implicitly includes interaction of some sort (with people, with nature, with text, with ideas etc)and increased interaction implicitly involves further self-definition. I want to become who I was made to be, as quickly as possible, so that I can serve my purpose the most effectively for as long as possible.

I know that you didn't ask for my opinion on this directly, but there it is...and I'll be stopping by the blog frequently my friend!

Sincerely,
JTS

P.S. Congratulations on your next baby...I can't wait to be a father after we get done with law school!!

Brian Arnold said...

Jeremy,
You are very poetic. I want to be an instrument in God's hands to accomplish what he needs me to accomplish. Thank you for your comments.